|'Stuff we want in our community' by MaryCate + Jude|
Some of the ideas we heard about:
- Pie Lab - giving people free pie on china plates as a way to stimulate connections and conversation. The china plates require return, so people do stick around to eat - and they chat.
- Men's Sheds - big in Australia as permanent spaces where older men can meet, share projects, expertise and health info. Is now one in Camden.
- Fallen Fruits - night harvesting, jam-making
- Trade School - learning skills in exchange for bartered goods or services. To an extent, our gardening sessions, and Bron's sewing class, already operate in this vein.
- Good Gym - No more long and pointless runs in the park. Arrange your route to drop in on someone who needs a pint of milk, a paper - or just some company
- Hackney Homes Garden Swap - bringing neglected gardens, and gardeners without a garden, together to share gardening know-how, produce and the pleasures of getting your hands dirty.
- Invite local activists to SRA meetings each month - just to introduce themselves and build links with like-minded local projects, not with a specific project in mind.
- Sunday Soup to support emerging artists
- Butterfield Bunting - Bron's brilliant idea to get local people to make pennants to decorate the Green at our events.
- Potential contact: Gareth Wall, Head of Overview and Scrutiny at Hackney Council
- Asset-mapping in the area - create and laminate a large (A1?) map of our local area so people can mark on it the things they love with stickers.
Any suggestions, folks?