Monday, 6 July 2015

Shakespeare Residents' Association & BUG meeting 13th May 2015

Present
Annie, Silvia, Christophe, Pat, Diane, Jawad, Rachel, Tora

Apologies
Ken, Maggie, Phil, Bron, Geraldine

Minutes
The Minutes of our April meeting were approved

BUG/ MUGA (Multi Use Games Area)
Planting day on Friday April 17th was successful, however only one volunteer attended. The beds have subsequently been watered. The parks department had also bought plants for the woodland but not prepared the beds, so this could not be done but will be done in the autumn, potentially by a group of corporate volunteers. Annie will look into this. In the meantime the plants are kept by the council. Next gardening session will be on the 14th of June.

Film Night
Successful despite rain, some things to remember for next time:
- We should invest in three 25m length heavy duty power cables/extension leads. Pat will buy these.
- We need another solid gazebo for the equipment, similar to the one we had for the refreshment tent. It should have sides. Christophe to check with Bron if she will be OK with storing a new one (in exchange for the one we have now thrown away) and then buy it.
- Wrong kind of screen was delivered: we were given a discount, but we were very close to having to cancel because of this. What can be done to avoid something similar happening again? Tora to ask Hackney Council if they could get us a preferred rate with a reliable supplier.
- MANY thanks to Rajni for donating the projector to the SRA/BUG!
- Rachel and Jenn will draw up a list of kit that is needed for screening, Pat will add list of other necessary items for food tent and stewards etc. This way we can ensure we have everything ahead of the day next time.
- Some financial matters still need sorting out, Rachel and Christophe to make sure everything is finalized before the AGM.
Finally, huge thanks to all the volunteers, particularly to Jenn for her help and also to Caroline for assisting throughout!

Cycle Superhighway
Meeting planned with a representative from TfL and Hackney Council to review on-site the problem junctions/areas identified in our consultation letter. We decided that morning or afternoon rush hours would best illustrate our concerns, and morning would probably be best (around 8-9am). Tora to send an email to TfL and Hackney Council to introduce Silvia, Alex, and Mary Cate, who will arrange exact timing for a meeting in the coming week(s).

It was particularly noted that the online consultation questionnaire was very poorly formulated with little room to input own comments.

AGM Planning
We discussed potential speakers for the AGM, including politicians or local activists, potentially involved in the anti-austerity campaign, or with the NHS locally (in the context of the recent election results). It was decided that we would approach some of the potential candidates in the coming week and then re-group via email to determine who would be most appropriate and available.

We need to try to get someone to take on the website/facebook (either as one position or split in two) role at the AGM, as this position has been vacated and the website is not being updated.

AOB
We discussed another Summer Picnic to be arranged before the school holidays. We discussed entertainment/music, and Jawad will investigate whether some local musicians would be available.12th of July was suggested as a potential date to be confirmed at next month’s meeting.

Letterbox Library – the site has been leased to a charity bakery organization that trains vulnerable women. We will try to get some more information and share with the wider group as soon as possible.

Volunteers for the Orchard gardening days – volunteers are very much needed, as fewer and fewer people seem to show up. We need to advertise this. It is key that we get some people along on the 14th of June as there is a lot to be done.

Finances
Film night finances are still to be finalized, but we seem to have managed to break even. We will need the accounts to be audited at the AGM, so any outstanding invoices/receipts should be handed in by then.

Dates for diaries
10th June – SRA AGM, 8pm
14th June – Gardening in Butterfield Green, 2-4pm
12th July – SRA/BUG picnic, Butterfield Green, 1-5pm


No comments: